Saturday, September 6, 2014

You Matter To Him

From ages 12-18, I attended "young women's" during the third hour of church every Sunday. At the beginning of every meeting we would recite what is called the "Young Women Theme". It says:

We are daughters of our Heavenly Father, who loves us, and we love Him. We will “stand as witnesses of God at all times and in all things, and in all places” as we strive to live the Young Women values, which are:
 
Faith • Divine Nature • Individual Worth • Knowledge •
Choice and Accountability • Good Works • Integrity • and Virtue
 
 We believe as we come to accept and act upon these values, we will be prepared to strengthen home and family, make and keep sacred covenants, receive the ordinances of the temple, and enjoy the blessings of exaltation.
 
 
As I recited this every week and completed Personal Progress, I came to know that my Heavenly Father knows me and loves me. I was blessed to be able to increase my faith and become the best woman that I could be. Every single one of the values played a significant role in helping me become the person I am today. Recently, I have been reflecting on some of these values. Something that I would like to talk specifically about today is the value Individual Worth. I hope that I can portray my feelings in way that is not too scattered! :)
 
Almost my whole life I have watched as people close to me have struggled with their individual worth. When I speak of individual worth, I am referring to not only your worth in this world, but your worth to your Heavenly Father. In Doctrine and Covenants 18:10 it says:
 
 
Let me testify to you that I know this is true. I know that our Heavenly Father loves us. He has a perfect plan. Within his perfect plan is an exact purpose for us. PLEASE UNDERSTAND. You are a child of God. He loves you.
 
President Uchtdorf puts it best:
 

"My dear brothers and sisters, it may be true that man is nothing in comparison to the greatness of the universe. At times we may even feel insignificant, invisible, alone, or forgotten. But always remember—you matter to Him! If you ever doubt that, consider these four divine principles:
 
"First, God loves the humble and meek, for they are 'greatest in the kingdom of heaven.'
 
"Second, the Lord entrusts 'the fulness of [His] gospel [to] be proclaimed by the weak and the simple unto the ends of the world.' He has chosen 'the weak things of the world [to] come forth and break down the mighty and strong ones' and to put to shame 'the things which are mighty.'
 
"Third, no matter where you live, no matter how humble your circumstances, how meager your employment, how limited your abilities, how ordinary your appearance, or how little your calling in the Church may appear to you, you are not invisible to your Heavenly Father. He loves you. He knows your humble heart and your acts of love and kindness. Together, they form a lasting testimony of your fidelity and faith.
 
"Fourth and finally, please understand that what you see and experience now is not what forever will be. You will not feel loneliness, sorrow, pain, or discouragement forever. We have the faithful promise of God that He will neither forget nor forsake those who incline their hearts to Him. Have hope and faith in that promise. Learn to love your Heavenly Father and become His disciple in word and in deed."
 
One of my favorite scriptures is found in the Book of Mormon. It is found in 1 Nephi 11:16-17:
 
 
Here Nephi is asked a question: Knowest thou the condescension of God? His response (paraphrased): I may not know everything, but I know God loves his children.
 
So let me ask you: Do you KNOW that God loves you? I can promise you, that if you pray to know this for yourself, almost any other concern we may have, whatever challenge, can be dissolved by knowing that God loves us and has a plan for us. So please, pray to know. It can change your whole outlook on your own life. And that is what Heavenly Father desires for us.
 




No comments:

Post a Comment