Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Daddy-Daughter Day

I have been blessed with a wonderful earthly father who cares about me very much. Since I have been out on my mission, I have known when he misses me most when he sends me Taco Bell gift cards. Let me tell you, that's real love. He has been a wonderful provider, great listener, and disciple of Christ. I am so grateful for his example in my life.

Like many other girls, I would be blessed with the opportunity to go on "Daddy-Daughter Dates" with my dad. Now, they usually weren't pre-planned and specific to spending quality time together, but they were special to me any ways. In fact, they were often trips to St. George Utah for doctor appointments, dentist appointments, etc. What I loved most about these trips was just being with my dad, talking, and always making a stop at Taco Bell (hence the gift cards).

These trips mean so much to me now, because it really bonded me to my dad. Looking back, these days spent alone with me and my dad were exactly what I needed to secure a good relationship with him. I can now see how this quality time allowed me to have a deeper relationship with him that most people crave to have with their parents.

Recently while reflecting about this, I thought about how this exactly relates to keeping the Sabbath day holy. Our Heavenly Father has set aside Sundays for us to rest. But most importantly to me, he has set aside time for us to worship him. On Mormon.org it says:

"Besides giving us a rest from the stresses of the workweek, keeping the Sabbath day holy shows respect for God and reminds us to slow down our busy lives to give thanks to our Creator. Sunday is a day to look forward to, one when we get to enjoy the things that really matter."


I love Sundays! Let me tell you--I need that day of rest. But the reason why I have come to enjoy it most is because it is my personal "Daddy-Daughter Day" with my Heavenly Father. It is the day that I devote ALL of my time and attention to strengthening my relationship with my Heavenly Father. Don't get me wrong, I am constantly trying to improve my relationship during the week, but it is a day that I especially work at it. It is a day where I attend church to renew my commitment to him. Its the day where I try to serve others. It is the day where I spend quality time with my earthly family that he has blessed me with. It is the day I spend devoted in prayers of gratitude.

I am so grateful that my Heavenly Father has set aside Sundays as a day of rest and worship. We need this time to renew each week. The world is just getting crazier, so we need this day to step back and re-charge. I know that this is the day where we can especially spend that time improving our relationship with our Heavenly Father. I truly love it!

Mark 2:27, "And he said unto them, The sabbath was made for man, and not man for the Sabbath:".






No comments:

Post a Comment