Saturday, July 19, 2014

Feelings of Guilt, Part 4: The Gift of the Holy Ghost

Living the Gospel of Jesus Christ is the only way that we can feel relief from feelings of guilt. Christ's gospel is simply faith in him and his atonement, repentance, baptism, receiving the gift of the holy ghost, and then enduring to the end.

First of all, what is the gift of the Holy Ghost? In the gospel principles manual, it says, "The gift of the Holy Ghost is the privilege—given to people who have placed their faith in Jesus Christ, been baptized, and been confirmed as members of the Church—to receive continual guidance and inspiration from the Holy Ghost."

What are some blessings that we receive from the Holy Ghost? Mormon,org gives us this explanation:

"The Holy Ghost can bless your life in many ways. Christ promised His Apostles that the Holy Ghost would 'teach you all things' (John 14:26) and 'guide you into all truth' (John 16:13). He also said that the Holy Ghost 'shall testify of me' (John 15:26).

"Likewise, the Holy Ghost can help you. Through the inspiration of the Holy Ghost, you can recognize and understand truth and make right choices and inspired decisions.

"The Holy Ghost can inspire you with thoughts and ideas, warn you, and comfort you in times of sorrow.

"You may have already felt His influence at times in your life. That influence includes 'love, joy, [and] peace' (Galatians 5:22).]

"Almost everyone has felt the Holy Ghost at some time. But there is a difference between experiencing the occasional influence of the Holy Ghost and receiving the gift of the Holy Ghost.
Although the Holy Ghost may temporarily comfort someone or reveal truth to them, the gift of the Holy Ghost is reserved for those who have been baptized and confirmed into Christ’s Church. This gift is the privilege of enjoying the constant companionship of the Holy Ghost conditional upon keeping the commandments.

"The gift of the Holy Ghost is given when a person is confirmed a member of the Church after baptism by someone having priesthood authority from God. It is given by the person having authority laying their hands upon the head of the person who was baptized and giving them a blessing to receive the Holy Ghost (Acts 8:14-18). Whether or not we then receive this great gift depends on our keeping the commandments of God."

I think my favorite part of having the gift of the Holy Ghost is the promise found in not only John 14:26, but in 2 Nephi 32:5. Its says:

For behold, again I say unto you that if ye will enter in by the way, and receive the Holy Ghost, it will show unto you all things what ye should do.

Have you ever thought to yourself, "I wish life came with instructions!" Well, I can tell you--what you are hoping for is the gift of the Holy Ghost! It has been such a blessing in my life. I have personally had experiences where the Holy Ghost has taught me, warned me, and gave me subtle impressions. Its how I knew where to go to college, if/when I should go on a mission, and many more things. I am so grateful to have this gift from my Heavenly Father. Through this gift, I have come to know of God's will for me. It has blessed me so much!

Not only is having the gift of the Holy Ghost been a blessing in my life, but it is the key to salvation. The Holy Ghost is what teaches us the way to get back to Heavenly Father. He is what testifies of truth. He shows us Heavenly Father's plan for us. This is what we desire most. We desire to know of things eternal. This knowledge only comes through the Holy Ghost.

I can testify of the reality of the gift of the Holy Ghost. He is real. He wants to help us. By taking the steps of the gospel (faith, repentance, and baptism), you can prepare to receive this gift from our Heavenly Father. I am so grateful to have this gift. I know that we are all loved by our Heavenly Father. He is waiting for us to draw near to him. If you have any more questions, message me on facebook, email, or write me. You can find my contact info on the right hand side of this page. Or contact your local missionaries by clicking here.


No comments:

Post a Comment