Thursday, December 19, 2013

What I Expect To Get Out Of My Mission & My Life

For our latest conference, we were asked to prepare three different talks. The topics were "How To Work With Ward Members", "How To Teach With Power And Authority", and "What Do You Expect To Get Out Of Your Mission And Your Life". They were then to randomly select three missionaries to share their talks on any one of these topics. I was not chosen to share on any of these topics, but I did obediently prepare for them. The topic that I enjoyed writing the most was "What I Expect To Get Out Of My Mission And My Life."

The almost obvious answer for every missionary is to become more like Christ. I decided that I would focus my studies on one quality that I would want to emulate. Through my studies, I came to the conclusion that in my mission and in my life, I want to be meek. Moroni 7: 43-44 says:



One thing that I have learned as a missionary thus far is that in order to do anything we must first have Faith. Faith then leads to hope, which leads to charity. Without charity we are nothing. This scripture tells us that you cannot have faith, save ye shall be meek and lowly of heart. It all starts with meekness.

Another great scripture on this is Moroni 8:26. It says:

 26 And the remission of sins bringeth meekness, and lowliness of heart; and because of meekness and lowliness of heart cometh the visitation of the Holy Ghost, which Comforter filleth with hope and perfect love, which love endureth by diligence unto prayer, until the end shall come, when all the saints shall dwell with God.

We want the companionship of the Holy Ghost. The Holy Ghost fills us with hope & perfect love. The Holy Ghost will lead us to Eternal Life. We have the opportunity to live with our Heavenly Father for forever. We must first be meek to be a candidate for Eternal Life.

 Elder Ulisses Soares said this in the recent general conference, "Meekness is vital for us to become more Christlike. Without it we won’t be able to develop other important virtues. Being meek does not mean weakness, but it does mean behaving with goodness and kindness, showing strength, serenity, healthy self-worth, and self-control. Meekness was one of the most abundant attributes in the Savior’s life. He Himself taught His disciples, 'Learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart.' We are blessed to be born with the seed of meekness in our hearts. We need to understand that it is not possible to grow and develop that seed in the twinkling of an eye but rather through the process of time. Christ asks us to 'take up [our] cross daily,' meaning that it must be a constant focus and desire."


I can add my testimony that Jesus Christ is the ultimate example of meekness. We must develop this attribute to become more like him. 

So back to the question I was posed by Elder Corbridge: What I expect to get out of my mission and my life is meekness. I pray that I will be able to work on this attribute daily. I know that it is not easy. But the Lord will always help us through it!


No comments:

Post a Comment